Monday, September 21, 2009

School year so far. . .

The school year, aside from the first week-ish, is boring and there is rarely anything to write about. It is much nicer to not be a plebe and the amount of extra time I have from not doing duties, memorizing meals, days, etc. is shocking. This year is supposed to be the most intense academically but I seem to have settled into the same groove as in high school-get up, go to class, do absolutely nothing, stay up late still doing nothing, repeat and somehow manage to still get good grades. We'll see how long this pattern holds up, hopefully the whole semester. Having a plebe to take care of is great. I love taking care of people, helping friends with anything that is bothering them, etc. so having an individual who's problems are basically my problems is like a dream come true. I can't wait to graduate and have 40 of them! Though by that point, most of their problems will be taken care of before they get to me but it should still be great.

Speaking of my plebe- I wanted to die when I first got the name and looked it up on Facebook (don't laugh, that's the first thing you'd do with the name too). To understand why, you need to understand a few things about getting a plebe- the four things you do not want your plebe to be are:

1) Female- no offense to the ladies, you just tend to have more problems and are more difficult to deal with in general, especially after living surrounded by guys and losing your social skills.

2) Prior Service- if your plebe knows more about life/the Army than you do what are you supposed to teach them?

3) Prepster- someone from the prep. school. Often scum-bags (sorry to any prepsters who read this- you know its true though) though that is not the problem, it can be handy for your plebe to know how to get out of EVERYTHING. The problem is usually that they have already had a year of USMA type life and again, there's not much for you to teach them.

4) Corps Squad Athlete- Another stereo-type: corps squaders are shammers, think they are better than everyone else, etc. Basically its the whole jock thing from high-school. On top of all that, they have no time for you to be with them/teach them how to do things/make sure they have done things.

The first thing you do when you are given your plebe's name is look them up on Facebook to find out if they fit any of these categories. Also, if their profile is blocked it tells you they were smart enough to block it, if not then you can learn all sorts of things about them. Sounds creepy but the upper-classmen are doing it too so you might as well be able to prepare them for what they are going to get hazed about. . .

So I got my name, logged in to facebook and saw a tall-looking girl in ACU's. That can't be right. They wouldn't give me a girl would they?! Plus she's in ACU's, she must be a prepster! Possibly prior-service but thankfully she looks too young. I check the sheet again. AH! She's on the women's basketball team too!!! Sweet, this is going to be interesting. . .

The first day we spent a good amount of time getting to know each other while cleaning rifles. Turns out my female/prepster/corps squad plebe isn't too bad after all. Her whole goal for the semester is to make my life as easy as possible. So far she's done a pretty good job of it too!

Classes are going good. My schedule is 19.5 credit hours light. I picked my major- Computer Science. Looks like this is going to be my lightest semester by far between now and graduation. Great choice (sarcasm).

Lastly, a lead-in to what will probably be my next blog post. One thing I don't think I mentioned in my AMT post is that my roommate convinced me to get a room with my parents' time share and go to Disney World for Labor Day. More to come on that. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment