Saturday, April 9, 2011

On a sadder note

I've decided to go ahead and make some information more public.  Everyone who has read much on this blog knows that I went to West Point for two years and then left to serve and LDS Mission.  If you read a few blog entries back you will see that I have recently had a somewhat severe problem caused by acid reflux.  My acid reflux is most likely (though I have no official diagnosis) a symptom of GERD.  The bad news is that GERD is a disqualifying condition for service in America's Armed Forces.  Moreover, the fact that I have had food stuck in my esophagus hints that it may be somewhat advanced.  I emailed one of the doctors on the Medical Examination Review Board (MERB) that medically approves cadet candidates and his response was "This doesn't bode well."

So, although there is still a chance of receiving a waiver and being allowed to resume my planned future at the Academy, it looks like I will most likely be a civilian for the rest of my life.  Civilian life is not bad, don't get me wrong, but I had really hoped for a different outcome.

In the end I know it doesn't matter.  If I do what I am supposed to do, I know that Heavenly Father will ensure that everything in my life works out.  His plans are not always the same as our plans, which is frustrating, but His plans are always perfect and I have come to know more than ever that He truly does have a plan for me- even if I cannot see it.   As Isaiah said:  "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isa. 55:8-9)

If He wants me to be at West Point, I will certainly return.  And if I return, He certainly wants me to be at West Point- as it appears I would be the first person to be allowed admission under such circumstances. 

If anybody knows someone from the Academies- any of them- who was granted a medical qualification after such an event, kindly leave me a comment below to let me know it is possible.  All I have found is that many have been turned away for far more minor symptoms of the same disease.

1 comment:

  1. Aww. You made me alternately sad and happy in this post. I am really sad that you might not return to the Academy. I know that for all your talk you really liked it there and want to go back. Also, I miss my claim to fame by having you there.
    Still, I'm happy you have a strong testimony about the Lord guiding your life. I can definitely tell you as one from the outside looking in that it seems the Lord has a plan for you and Satan is doing all he can to thwart that plan. You just keep yourself going in the right way and Satan can do nothing to you but the Lord will bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete