Thursday, October 15, 2009

Math Project

This semester the math and physics departments decided to work together to develop a project. Though the project wasn't too terribly hard (probably took less than 20 man-hours) and wasn't designed to be a pain, it almost killed me and one of my partners (the other one not so much).

We were given several weeks to do this stupid thing but, being the typical "I'm too busy" cadets we didn't start on it until a couple days before the due date. Not that big of a deal right? Divide the project into its separate parts and everyone can pitch in to finish it quickly. At least that was the plan. One person's computer had died so he automatically got stuck with the write-up, the only part he could do on his temporary computer. The easier part of the math went to the other partner and I got what was left. After many hours of running the equations, realizing an error and re-running the equations with the problem fixed my part of the math was finally complete and I was done by about 10 the night before it was due.

At 12 I got a call from the person who was doing the write-up telling me that the third member of our group, the one who got the easy math, had done it completely wrong. "Could you try to figure it out really fast?" Yeah, I could have, 2 hours ago when I was still awake! "No problem, I'll send you everything when I'm done with it." Thankfully it really was much easier and only took until about 2 to finally get it all done and sent to where it needed to go. That third guy effectively got away with not contributing ANYTHING to the project- worthless punk.

Completely unrelated to this that third individual had some disciplinary actions brought against him (breaking the honor code) and he gets to repeat yuk year and spend an extra year in this place! I think he should be getting kicked out, but still, life has a funny way of providing justice sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment