Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Stocks!!

For years I have wanted to experiment with investing in the stock market.  At the moment I find myself with a little free time and some mad money (money I can lose and not be hurt). 

I initially invested $500, but the problem is that with a small amount of money it is hard to recover from the brokerage fees ($7 for each trade).  Though all but one of the 5 stocks I chose have been up around 10% from where I initially bought them, I still cannot sell out of them without going in the whole because I don't have enough shares to cover the fees!!  Good thing this is only to learn, right?

Right.  But it still irks me to know that even though my investments have done fairly well, I will still be ending this endeavor with less money than I began (probably only by a couple of dollars, but its the principle of the thing!!).  So, even though I have told myself and my parents that I will not become a day trader, I have picked out a stock that I feel I can make significant money on if I watch it and day-trade on it.  I know, usually you pick a lot of them and different ones each day and all that good stuff, but I am confident on this and if it works out well perhaps I will talk more about it. 

Basically it is a crappy company with consistent (almost every day for the past year) daily highs and lows.  My plan, obviously, is to buy in on the daily low and sell on the daily high.  The dangerous part is that a quick glance at the company's financials plus the fact that the stock has been stagnant for over a year means that this company could disappear any day.  Bankrupt.

Risky? Yes. Good thing I can lose this money and not be too hurt!  That being said, I am still fairly confident in this plan and I can watch the stock during the day and see exactly when other day traders do the same thing, so I'm not alone in utilizing this cash-cow.  In a few days I should have more than paid for the "learning experience".  I'll keep ya'll posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment