Thursday, December 3, 2009

Christmas for the Corps

Tonight was Christmas dinner for the Corps (had to be this early because next week is Army/Navy). This means a glorious meal of surf and turf, cookies, cheesecake, eggnog, sparkling grape juice (non-alcoholic wine), etc. After dinner, the entire corps goes out to smoke cigars so while they're out there, I'll blog! Unfortunately, there is so much smoke in the air that even indoors you cannot escape the smell.

The plebes all have to festively decorate their tables and this causes competitions every year. This year, the plebes at my table managed to produce an amazing table considering that as of lunch time they had nothing bought or planned. They used wrapping paper for a table runner, had festive napkins, and all those minor things, but the big thing- a huge fondue pot with melted chocolate, strawberries, bananas, marshmallows, pretzels, and more! Nice touch plebers.

We eat our meal and then the fun begins. The first captain gets up on the poop deck and leads the corps in 12 Days of Christmas. Everyone stands on their chairs, tables, chairs stacked on tables, or on each other and we sing so loud and rowdy Navy can probably hear us down there in their sorry excuse for an academy. Inevitably, the song ends in a food fight (in our full dress uniform) and everybody storms out of the mess hall to smoke their cigars. The noise outside my window right now is ridiculous and the whole atmosphere is a crazy 4000 man party.

Admittedly, I do feel somewhat left out sitting up here in my room, though after going down to take pictures I know there's no way my virgin lungs would hold up to more than a few minutes out there- too much disgusting smoke in the air. But its ok, there's a lot of work to be done between now and tomorrow morning anyways. 16 more days and I'll be on my way home to celebrate the real Christmas in my own way, the party can wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment