Saturday, January 15, 2011

My musings

I have been thinking lately that maybe I should create other blogs- one for cooking, one for politics, etc.- but then I realized something.  My blog is titled "Musings of a Madman."  I am that madman, so, whatever I am musing about is fair game, right?

So, the thoughts of the day.  It is Saturday, which, as of late, has become my cooking day.  It is my day to experiment in the kitchen.  Yes, it is wonderfully frightening.  But no, really, I have come to enjoy it.  This day of food preparation before my day of rest began three weeks ago when I made penne ala vodka (which I mentioned briefly).  The next Saturday was orange chicken (watch out Panda, I'm comin' after you).  This weekend?  Sesame chicken.  I was surprised to find some of the ingredients in town- our grocery stores aren't great at filling my needs- but managed to come up with everything I needed.  All in all I think it was my best dish yet!  Sure, it took every pot in the house and made everything smell like garlic and ginger for a while, but it was worth it.

Later on in the evening I was hungry again.  I was looking online and came across some apple pie style egg rolls.  It reminded me of the wonderful apple chimichangas I have had throughout my life.  I figured they must be pretty easy to make so I went to foodnetwork.com and looked at several recipes for apple pie filling.  Once I had a pretty good idea of what to do, I went into the kitchen and made just enough filling for 3 chimichangas- one for each person at home.  They worked out pretty well.  Today was a very good day for food.  Maybe at some point I'll get ambitious and put recipes up, but not tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment