Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday's Kitchen: A New Twist on an Old Classic

Its Saturday, so I headed back to the kitchen, but had no idea what to cook.  What really sounded good was my world famous (well ok, maybe just famous within my family and a few close friends) macaroni and cheese with tomatoes- but that's old hat.  I've done it too many times!  There's nothing experimental about that anymore.  Giving up on my search, I decided to just put things in a pot and see what it turned into.  It ended up being macaroni with a cheesy tomato based sauce.  I cannot give you amounts because the combining of ingredients was all done by how much looked right, but I can give you a list of ingredients so you can play with it too!

Tomatoes (I used 2 of my mom's small bottles of tomatoes) blended until smooth
Heavy Cream  (edit: I went back and checked and it took about 1 cup of the cream)
Garlic (1 fairly large clove- chopped)
~2 Tbsp butter
Parmesan Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese
Macaroni
Salt

In a saucepan melt the butter.  Add the garlic and cook on medium high until fragrant and slightly brown.  Reduce the heat to medium.  Add the blended tomatoes all at once to the butter and garlic.  Stir cream into the sauce until it is a pinkish red color.  Reduce sauce by half, stirring frequently (but not constant).

Fill a pot about 2/3 full of water.  Add salt and bring to a boil.  Dump the macaroni in and let boil- stirring occasionally- to al dente.  Drain and rinse.

When the sauce has been reduced and while the pasta is cooking, add desired amounts of parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and let them melt.  Reduce heat to low and continue stirring sauce occasionally to prevent burning.  After the pasta has been rinsed, return it to the pot and add the sauce all at once.  Stir together until pasta is fully and evenly coated and serve.

I know its a very vague recipe.  Maybe next time I'll try measuring everything out to see how much of it is used.  If anyone tries it though, let me know what you think!

P.S. A word of caution- if you are using the bottled, pre-ground type parmesan cheese like Kraft makes the cheese is much stronger than you give it credit for.  I went overboard on the parm and it is really overpowering the other flavors.  That being said, it still tastes pretty good to me, give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. We have a recipe that is very similar to what you did here. It is called "Macaroni with Lots and Lots of Cheese". Very inventive. But it basically starts with a cream/flour base and builds with several cheeses including parm. mozz. and cheddar. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete